Barry Van Zyl
Barry is a creative sector and business development professional who co-founded SulliVanZyl as a way to leverage his unique combination of entertainment, creative, and business interests.
Barry is internationally recognised in the entertainment world for his role as the drummer for Johnny Clegg, the South African music icon who has sold over 5,000,000 albums, and inspired artists like Paul Simon and Jimmy Buffett. In addition, Barry has performed with countless popular musicians including Annie Lennox, Carlos Santana, Oliver Mtukudzi, Peter Gabriel, the Soweto Gospel Choir, Ernest Ranglin, and Ladysmith Black Mambazo. These partnerships and collaborations have involved extensive tours of Western and Eastern Europe, the UK, the USA, Canada and Australasia.
Barry is the business development lead for Henley Business School’s expansion strategy in Africa.
What energises Barry is the chance to combine his passion and creative vision with commercial expertise. This includes recognizing trends and opportunities, connecting the right key role players, and a deep understanding of the music performance and production value chain.
Barry graduated in 1994 with an Honours in Performance from The Musicians Institute, Hollywood, CA. He also received a scholarship from the Berklee College of Music, Boston, in 1995. More recently, Barry earned his MBA from Henley Business School, University of Reading, after being awarded the Dean’s scholarship in 2015.
I'm an entertainment and creative sector professional, with over 30 years experience in music performance, music production, executive education, workshop facilitation, project management, strategic planning, high performance team building and university level lecturing.
My purpose is to combine passion and creative vision with commercial expertise, to recognise trends and opportunities, and to “get the right people in the room”.
Below is a summary of certain education and career achievements:
- Executive MBA from Henley Business School, University of Reading. Awarded the Dean’s scholarship in 2015.
- Executive Education workshops focusing on Creativity, Innovation, Disruption, Collaboration and Managing Complexity, Clients include TBWA, Hunt Lascaris, The Liberty Life Insurance Group, Engen Africa, Henley Business School, BSG, The Mining Indaba, Investec and the National Arts Festival.
- Member of the Johnny Clegg Band since 1999. The annual touring schedule includes Western Europe, the UK, the USA, Canada and Australasia. Recent highlights include performing/recording with Annie Lennox, Carlos Santana, Peter Gabriel, Robert Plant, Sipho Hotstix Mabuse, Ernest Ranglin, Brian May, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, The London Chamber Orchestra, The Soweto Gospel Choir and Oliver Mtukudzi.
- Production management for film and TV soundtrack projects, as well as creative mapping and composition. (e.g. Jacob's Cross, Supersport, Skeem, Rugby Motors, Jimmy in Pink)
- Endorsed by Zildjian cymbals, DW drums & hardware, and Vic Firth sticks.
- Graduated in 1994 with an Honours in Performance from The Musicians Institute, Hollywood, CA.
- Received a scholarship from Berklee College Of Music, Boston, in 1995.